Sunday, January 27, 2008

Week 2 Post--Sylviane

Sylviane Boddy


I found one of the most compelling aspects of this week’s readings on the evolution of emotions to be the concept of the origin of emotions, a topic that is quite controversial. I was intrigued by James’s discussion in What is an Emotion?, in which he sequence of stimuli, body response and emotion. His rather unorthodox hypothesis that was the stimuli causes a body response that causes the emotion, such as you are scared of a bear because you run. This argument, which I feel has at least some merit, stayed in the back of my mind while I did this weeks readings and found that I was able to clarify some of my own feelings towards this standpoint.

The reading that I found most interesting was Ekman, Levenson, and Friesen’s article on autonomic nervous system activity. This paper discussed an experiment in which nervous system activity was recorded as participants relived emotional experience or constructed, muscle by muscle, facial expressions that are prototypes of specific emotions. It determined that not only are there autonomic differences between four negative emotions (disgust, anger, fear, sadness) but also that constructing emotional faces produces autonomic activity. This finding initially seems to support James’s theory that the physical reaction occurs before the emotional one, since creating the physical state of facial muscles can induce bodily responses that constitute emotional responses. However, upon further reading and thought, reveals that although some autonomic activity is generated, it is impossible for individuals to produce the complex patterns of autonomic activity that truly make up and emotional reaction. The minimal reactions that were produced and record in this study, such as heart rate and muscle tension, although usually indicative of some sort of emotion, do not necessarily create an emotion.

This idea was reinforced by the writings of Darwin, in which he detailed the emotional responses of many animals. For example, he describes a hostile dog walking towards a man and how his head is raised, tail erect, and walks stiffly. As I read through Darwin’s accounts of animals’ responses in different emotional states, I realized that many of the physical characteristic of these states overlap amongst emotions, and that it must be more than a combination of traits to cause a true emotion. The same is true of humans; a physical state of shaking and sweating may be found in individuals who are experiencing fear or anxiety. Similarly, activities such as exercising can cause an increased heart rate and sweating but do not result in an emotional response. Further, the physical reactions that occur must themselves start in the brain as well. All of this evidence leads me to think that the sequence of an emotional response must be stimulus to emotion to body response. Perhaps my biological background is creating a bias, but it seems illogical, in light of this weeks readings, to think that mere physical state can cause an emotion. I am curious if there would a way to test this idea, or if it has already been tested. Since physical states, such as muscle tension, would ultimately start in motor control regions of the brain, would it be possible to monitor which neural activity is happening first? Studies similar to the one conducted by Ekman, et al. but using more precise measure of emotional and physical state, such as MRI for example, would, I believe, reveal a great deal.

5 comments:

Molly McDonough said...

I am confused with the relationship between emotional and physical responses.
Like Sylviane said, before fear or anxiety sets in, a person is known to be a bit shaky or sweaty. The physical responses evoke the fear. But not so much with exercise, we exercise and therefore our heart rate increases, but there is an emotional response - happiness. Why would we exercise if it didn't feel good?
Then I started thinking about the discussion we had in class about smiling. We discussed if it was possible to feel happy because our face told us we should be happy. I realize just how much environmental stimulus has to do with physical and emotional responses. When I see someone smiling, I automatically think they are happy, so I smile. When they see that their smile made me smile, they might actually feel happy.
This is similar to the reliving of an emotional experience in the experiment.

If emotions are what Darwin says, 'We can thus also understand the fact that the young and the old of widely different races, both with man and animals, express the same state of mind by the same movements.' --- to what extent are our emotions our own? Is it enough that our bodies respond differently in the same ways?

I think it would be fascinating to find out if we feel and then respond or respond and then feel, but is it possible that the outcome could vary by the emotion?

Molly Moody said...

I am also somewhat bewildered by the information presented in the reading. Before today's readings I felt sure that a feeling's physical expression is not only a result of the person's psychological state, but also a catalyst for changing the present emotional state. I have always believed that laughing and crying are contagious. However, after reading the articles I realize that there is quite a difference between an emotion and its physical result. Perhaps laughter is contagious but that does not necessarily change my psychological state, merely my physical state.

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie Moeller said...

I too have been very interested in the connections made in the readings between physical responses and emotions, and I guess in some ways the idea that an emotion could entirely be caused by a physical response to a stimulus was pretty revolutionary for me when I first came across it. This isn't because I wasn't in touch with the ways in the which emotions can be and are grounded in the body, but more that I have always conceptualized emotions so much more in terms of the conscious feelings associated with them than in terms of the physiological changes taking place when an emotion is experienced. For this reason much of the opening chapter of The Emotional Brain (LeDoux) was helpful for me, because of how clearly it laid out and clarified some basic principles about emotions (as LeDoux understands them). His fourth theme, for example, drove home for me what both James and Darwin imply/touch on: that the subjective experience is only small part of what an emotion is. LeDoux writes: "Feelings of fear, for example, occur as part of the overall reaction to danger and are no more or less central to the reaction than the behavioral and physiological responses that also occur, such as trembling, running away, sweating, and heart palpitations." It seems like this distinction will be an important one for how I think about emotions moving forward in this course, and I guess my only question about this idea right now is whether it applies equally to all types/categories of emotions, including a feeling like sadness, which seems to me to be much less "body based" or contingent upon a direct stimulus/response model.

Amy Fleischer said...

Amy Fleischer

I was also surprised by LeDoux's insistence upon the fact that what is least obvious is often the case when it comes to emotions. However, I might be confusing emotion with sensation, since one is so highly connected with the other. After this weeks' readings, I've learned that emotion could be the result of sensation (that is, a response to an external stimuli) but it could also occur simultaneously to sensation.

Prior to this week, I would have assumed that emotions occur on abstract/intangible levels and yet have very real, tangible results. It is new and difficult for me to imagine that emotions may BEGIN with tangible events (as in the body) and result in more abstract feelings or sensations. Though it may take some time for this notion to set in... for me to understand the ramifications of this newly perceived order... I must take yet another step back and ask why is this important? Why should we seek to understand the sequence of events, at each immensely detailed phase, when what feels real to the human condition is more broad and overarching?

(On what level, if any, does something "feel real" anyway?)

Of course, the potential consequences of scientific research are profound. I have no doubt that such inquiries could prove useful in diagnostics, for example; but why else should we seek to know the mechanisms of emotion?

Although I am obviously attracted to this topic from a scientific (as well as artistic) perspective, I still ask myself this question when the course has already begun!